21st October 2019
Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 9DT.
This one-day course was convened by Consultant Colorectal Surgeon Professor P.N. Haray and supported by a multi-professional faculty. It included live links to the Endoscopy Unit and the Main Operating Theatre, as well as numerous structured presentations which covered various aspects of the Colorectal Cancer Pathway and offered delegates the opportunity to interact with the faculty.
The course provided delegates with an insight into all aspects of the Colorectal Cancer Patient Pathway, from the Referral Processes, Diagnostic investigations and Treatment Modalities to Aftercare and Follow-up Protocols.
The course was aimed at medical and nursing staff who work in a variety of departments and who planned an active role in the patient journey. These included OPD, Endoscopy, Operating Theatre, Wards, Chemo-Radio Therapy, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy.
The following aspects were covered:
- Referral Pathway and Bowel Screening for Colorectal Cancer Patients
- Role of Endoscopy in Colorectal Cancer, including the Live Link (where feasible)
- Role of Radiology in Colorectal Cancer
- Enhanced Recovery; the Protocol Adopted by Prince Charles Hospital
- Patient Information and Education
- Surgical Options in Colorectal Cancer, including the Live Link (where feasible)
- Role of Oncology in Colorectal Cancer, Follow-up Protocol
Delegates were provided with the necessary course materials, including slide handouts, a DVD and a relevant publications list. Delegates also received a certificate upon completion of the course.